CLAY HANDBUILDING WORKSHOP
Caitlin Deane will be joining Brandon Evans again co-teaching two Ceramics Weekend Workshops at the California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture in Hesperia, CA!
Clay Hand-building // Weekend Workshop A: December 9-10, 2017
Glazing and Firing // Weekend Workshop B: December 16-17, 2017
This workshop is open to all experience levels, geared toward those with little to no previous clay experience! Students are encouraged to participate in both A and B workshops for a complete and well rounded experience, though it is not mandatory and options are available if you only want to participate in one of the weekends.
An exciting session that is designed to expose students to traditional hand building techniques based around pottery making and sculptural art. Emphasis will be on preparation, form, shaping clay, and decoration techniques.
- Overview stages of clay from raw form to fired ceramics
- Shaping clay techniques: Form, pinch, coil, slab, connecting shapes
- Surface decoration: Colored clay slips, burnishing, texture, brush work, carving
- Students get enough clay to create 3-6 forms for firing (depending on size)
- Bisque firing included if returning and signed up for the following Ceramics (B) workshop
- Stay overnight at Cal-Earth
Students are encouraged to return for the Ceramics (B) workshop the following weekend in order to glaze and finish fire their pieces at Cal-Earth. If not, students may take their unfired pieces home.
Tuition for each weekend is $350.00. This includes material fees like clay and glazes, AND includes housing on site. Come stay in one of the beautiful earth domes! Sign up for both workshops together and get $100 off, making your experience $600 total.
Create personal, handmade gifts for friends and family for the upcoming holidys while learning an exciting craft, or gift the workshop and share the experience with someone special!
For more info on this workshop, please visit the link here!